Good evening r/Canucks.
Welcome to the Farmies.
Subject: the Utica Comets visit the Syracuse Crunch.
RE: Comets attempt to build on last nights victory against the Laval Rocket to maintain some semblance of a chance at a Calder Playoff run.
RE: INJURY REPORT
|Out for the Season||Out for the season||Out for the season||Neck Injury||Upper Body Injury||DTD||DTD||DTD|
Streamable Clarity Improvement Notice
Continuing with last issues theme, going to be Players full name (jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) then every sub sequential play featuring that player it’ll be last name(jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) I’m also going to reduce the amount of hyperlink in the GOAL streamables, since that’s what I think MOST people are here for and don’t want some gaudy blue taking up the screen.
Comets in White
- first 3 minutes – whole lotta nuthin from the Comets
- lol Comets take a defensive zone draw and have two pretty blatant trips but receive no calls on either…
- Brandon Anselmini gets dinged for hooking and the Comets are off to the penalty kill
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 1-0 Crunch: Former Comet Cory Conacher opens the scoring for Syracuse 2 seconds into their powerplay with an absolute laser beam of a shot off the faceoff draw
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 2-0 Crunch: 25 seconds after the opening goal, Tom Pyatt(#20) leads a rush that gets broken up by Ben Thomas, then Matt Petgrave(#38) decides to cut in front of Tanner Kero(#10) and trip overhimself to let Gabriel Dumont have a free lane down the right wing for a 2-on-1 with Cory Conacher who nets his second
- Again this is why I’m all for Saucerman being in over Petgrave…the guys plays as a d-man are legitimately baffling at times
- Ross Colton gets a penalty for slashing, so the Comets are off to the powerplay
- 1st Unit: Petgrave, Kero, Boucher, Malone, MacEwen – 1st two tries end up in clearance, third try see’s a shot from Petgrave deflected high up into the netting
- 2nd Unit: Graham, Jasek, Gaunce, Pyatt, Darcy – nothing done
- can we just acknowledge how fucking bad this camera work is from the Syracuse crew…count how many Zoom ins and outs are just in this brief sequence, and how shakey the camera is , I’m developing epilepsy trying to watch this fucking game
- no audio around the 9-8 minute mark
- seriously, what the fuck is this…guy is constantly losing track of the puck and the play off this shakey cam zoom in bullshit
- GOAL – UTICA – 2-1 Crunch! Tanner Kero(#10) with aa great effort on the end boards to fish the puck out to Stefan LeBlanc(#3) who sets up Boucher at the front of the net for the easy tap-in goal to cut the Crunch’ lead to 1
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 3-1 Crunch: Less than a minute left in the period and after Reid Boucher finishes throwing a shoulder to Hubert Labrie, but not before he passes it to Cory Conacher who leads the odd man rush for Syracuse, going cross ice to Alexander Volkov who blasts one past Leightons blocker side
Score at the end of the first period: 3-1 Syracuse
Somehow shots favored Utica 14 ot 10…maybe because I kept having to turn away from the sequel to Cloverfield (shakey cam joke), but it genuinely felt like the shots on net were pretty weak and nowhere near that high. Hopefully Utica gets it together, with Boucher back in the lineup there shouldn’t be any excuses why they can’t get decent shots on net…
- Cory Conacher called for a high stick so the Comets are onto their 2nd powerplay of the game!
- Comets get some chances on the powerplay, but there best shot is a one timer from Jasek that gets blocked by Crunch netminder Eddie Pasquale
- solid shift from Lukas Jasek(#9), Brendan Woods(#21) and Brendan Gaunce(#16) as they pressure Syracuse with shots in close, leading to a hooking penalty from Daniel Walcott putting the Comets onto their 3rd powerplay of the night
- Seamus Malone(#19) with the turnover in the Crunch zone on the powerplay but fortunately Leighton makes the stop
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 4-1 Crunch: JFC, Zack MacEwen(#15) AND Tanner Kero(#10) get caught pinching to one side trying to battle for the puck, but that allows the Crunch’ Boris Katchouk to pass it up to Gabriel Dumont who races down the wing and set up a trailing Ben Thomas who rifles a one-timer past Leighton’s glove side
- Leighton gets the yank…not that any of those goals were really his fault….that backcheck by the Comets was pathetic on the shorthanded goal…literally giving up a 3-on-1 while on the man-advantage? Wtf were they doing? Stopping at the bench for water first?
- Comets hemmed in their own end and Tanner Kero gets dinged for high-sticking on Alex Barre-Boulet as he attempts to clear…Comets back to the PK
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 5-1 Crunch: wellp im gonna put this game on fast-forward. Comets 0 for 2 on the PK tonight – Not sure what realm the Comets live in where they play a team like Syracuse 10 times in a season and they still think it’s acceptable to let Alex Barre-Boulet just sit at the side of the net uncontested
- GOAL – UTICA – 5-2 Crunch : well at least they rally back for a quick response, as a shot from Jesse Graham(#64) bounces awkwardly out to Tanner Kero(#10) who gets a re-direct past the glove side of Eddie Pasquale
- Brandon Anselmini takes a penalty for goaltender interference…at least Pasquale didn’t dive like Smith did.
- Boucher(#24) with a beauty saucer pass to Kero(#10) while shorthanded but Pasquale makes a great pad save to deny the Comets a shorthanded goal
- The veteran Jaime Sifers(#26) caught out on a long shift takes a hard shot close, can barely put weight on his leg but toughs out the rest of his shift
The Score at the end of the 2nd period: 5-2 Crunch
- MacEwen(#15) playing the body on the blue line … probably could’ve used a bit of that tonight with the Canucks
- Gaunce set up Brendan Woods for a chance up front, but the cameraman was too busy focusing on Oleg Sosunov’s crosscheck of Gaunce to care about the developing play at the front of the net…
- Dominik Masin gets dinged for interference and the Comets are off to their 5th powerplay of the night…. I mean if they can’t get SOMETHING going here then I don’t know how they have a chance here tonight
- Malone(#19) picks up a floating puck and races down the left wing to set up Kero(#10) at the front of the net for a close chance on goal
- Powerplay ends and despite some good consistent pressure on the powerplay, they can’t seem to find their spots
- Anselmini(#7) with a slick move on the blue line to keep the zone, then Woods(#21) takes a stick to the face from Cal Foote as he attempts to clear a puck in the air
- Boucher playing the blue line with Petgrave instead of sitting in the left circle…kind of wasting his usefulness on the powerplay by making him a “setup man”
- GOAL – SYRACUSE – 6-2 Crunch: oof…just oof. Alexander Volkov given the freebie shorthanded goal of the century as Mazanec stickhandles poorly way outside of his crease.
- I don’t know if my many recaps of Crunch/Comets games covers it, but the Crunch are a VERY FAST and VERY physical team…probably one of the best combinations of both. They absolutely dummy the Comets guys every game when they finish their checks, but they can also create odd man rushes like nobody’s business – team is just tossing Cam Darcy around like a ragdoll all game
- MacEwen(#15) with his usual 110% effort to try and drive to the net through several Crunch players
Final Score: 6-2 Syracuse Crunch
|1st||Syracuse||Cory Conacher||Andy Andreoff||—||PPG|
|1st||Syracuse||Cory Conacher||Gabriel Dumont||Alexander Volkov||5v5|
|1st||Utica||Reid Boucher||Stefan LeBlanc||Tanner Kero||5v5|
|1st||Syracuse||Alexander Volkov||Cory Conacher||Hubert Labrie||5v5|
|2nd||Syracuse||Ben Thomas||Gabriel Dumont||Boris Katchouk||SHG|
|2nd||Syracuse||Alex Barre-Boulet||Taylor Raddysh||Cal Foote||PPG|
|2nd||Utica||Tanner Kero||Jesse Graham||Reid Boucher||5v5|
- Comets once again outshoot their opponent by a significant margin, but are unable to find the back of the net…this time they outshoot Syracuse 34 to 23. They managed to hold Syracuse to only 3 shots in the third period, so its pretty unfortunate that even with 5 powerplays to Syracuse’ 3, they were unable to capitalize on anything. ESPECIALLY, with Reid Boucher back in the lineup.
Comets Three Stars
- Reid Boucher – two point night, team high 4 shots
- Tanner Kero – two point night, 3 shots
- Zack MacEwen – 2 shots and actually tried tonight.
Comets get a bit of a break from the monotony of getting shitpumped every night, and return next Friday against the Toronto Marlies for their final match of the season. The Marlies are 6-3-0-1 through the month of March with their most recent result being a loss to the North Division’s 2nd place Rochester Americans, by a score of 5-2. The Marlies will play Rochester again this Sunday to wrap up that season series as well, so both the Comets AND Marlies will be heading into that Friday match up well rested and prepared (I hope). Unfortunately for the Comets, both the Cleveland Monsters AND Laval Rocket won their games Saturday night meaning the Comets (assuming they’re still TRYING to make playoffs) are in an incredibly tight 4 team race for the final playoff spot. Fortunately for Cleveland, Utica AND Laval, the Belleville Senators have now lost 2 straight, opening the door for the bottom 5th-7th place teams to have a shot.
Until next Friday though (or possibly Saturday depending on if I have house viewings or some other shit throughout the week that exhausts me) I will see you all then! Go Canucks Go, god bless Canada, and oh yeah, Fuck Messier! Good night folks! (or morning, most likely)